Are you considering purchasing a home with a pier and beam foundation in the northwest Houston area? If so, schedule a home inspection with Magnolia Home Inspection Services. As the one-stop shop for all your home inspection needs, we will gladly inspect your crawl space to make sure your home has a solid foundation.
What Is a Crawl Space?
Homes built on pier and beam foundations have a crawl space in lieu of a basement. The crawl space is an open area between the ground and first floor of the home, and is usually between one and three feet high. Additionally, the crawl space houses many of the home’s “guts”, including duct work, insulation, plumbing, electrical wiring, and HVAC components.
Why Inspect the Crawl Space?
Crawl spaces are prone to a variety of problems that can impact the entire home, including:
- Moisture – A crawl space is a convenient place to hide the home’s plumbing system. Unfortunately, this also makes it one of the most likely places to spring a hidden leak. Leaky pipes and pooling water can damage insulation and the home’s wooden support beams if not dealt with promptly.
- Pests – Similarly, the moist conditions of many crawl spaces make them a haven for a variety of pests. Dealing with moisture problems is essential to keeping termites, roaches, and other invaders out of your home.
- Rodents – If the crawl space is not tightly sealed, mice, rats, squirrels, and raccoons are likely to claim it as their own. Rodents frequently move up into the home and cause damage to insulation and wiring.
- Plumbing, Electrical, and HVAC Problems – Problems with one of the home’s major systems often happens in the crawl space. If not dealt with promptly, these issues can lead to costly repairs down the road.
- Insulation Issues – A properly insulated crawl space is key to maintaining the temperature of your home. If you notice areas in the floor that are cold during winter and warm during summer, the insulation likely needs replaced.
Request a Quote
At Magnolia, we’re not afraid to get our hands dirty. We will thoroughly inspect your crawl space for all of the above-mentioned issues and more. We also offer a variety of other specialty inspections, including well and septic inspections, pool and spa inspections, and termite inspections. To request a quote for an inspection, call our office at (832) 303-8048.